Reviewing Common Core Mathematical Practices

This year my new colleague and I started the year a little different. We began using some activities from Jo Boalers Week of Inspirational Math. We used activities as to emphasize them mixing, group work expectations and justifying answers. Another thing ew wanted to talk about is the mathematical practices - as they will be assessed and reported on this year.

At the end of the final lesson, I got students to write on post it notes where they had used the practices over the last three lessons and stick it on the relevant poster. I found it very effective in pulling together of ideas and clarifying any practices they couldn't identify.

I put them up on classroom window - such a thrill to hear and see other students and teachers talking about them.


Comments

Popular Posts